Formerly the office of Jon Thornton CA, Marsha MacLean Professional Corporation purchased the practice in September 2017.
Marsha MacLean CPA, CGA: Owner, aka the head honcho! Means I’ve earned the designation and I’ll accept the challenge to aspire to the highest of standards through hard work.
I have 15 years of experience in public accounting, beginning with a B.B.Admin from Brock University through their co-op accounting program. After a hiatus to be a stay-at-home mom while my children were in public school, I returned to public accounting working briefly for Jon Thornton. I decided to complete my CPA designation gaining experience from two other accounting firms in Peterborough, one being an international firm . . . hoping to graduate before my kids! I returned to work for Jon Thornton November 2016 to aid in a smooth transition of the practice to my corporation.
- “Say what?” —- We have some pretty hilarious family conversations because of my hearing impairment developed in early adulthood. It’s nothing I can change but something I’ve learned to live with and it affords me a unique perspective on the difference listening makes . . .
- I call it Embracing My Inner Barbie… boating, beaches and books are my thing and it’s not fair that I burn easily…
- Some people get anxious about spiders, others by snakes . . . For me its dogs . . . a little embarrassed about it… can’t explain it… tried to change it… But I’m okay with the fact: for me, dogs are best appreciated from a distance.
- Sometimes I sing to my own accompaniment… because I enjoy it… because vocal harmony is woven into the fabric of my family heritage and because it’s silly to have my Grade 10 Royal Conservatory Piano and not use it.
- For me there is only one thing better than enjoying a great meal and that is planning and preparing it… I guess that makes me something of a foodie. No complaints yet from family or friends.
- Mom… because apparently… I’ll never stop being one…
John MacLean: Admin, aka Marsha’s front man
A couple of degrees, a trade certificate and a ton of life experience. I consider myself to be Marsha’s biggest fan . . . greatest supporter . . . pool guy . . . maintenance guy and not so secret admirer. As of October 1st I will be her part-time-any-time-all-the-time-go-to-guy for all things office admin.
- Most frequently used swear word: “George!” . . . I adopted it several years ago . . . no devout religious people or supreme beings to offend and catch-y enough to remember . . .
- I share my birthday with royalty . . . none other than Prince George . . . has nothing to do with swear word above. He came along much later.
- In my opinion, the only food group worth eating is sugar . . . just saying . . . one of these days I am going to treat myself to a 99 at Tim Hortons . . . don’t ask . . .
- I was born on the island of St. Vincent in the West Indies . . . during a hurricane . . . or so my mom told me . . .
- I am the oldest and tallest of my five siblings . . . I am 5’6” . . . we do well in small spaces . . . doing our part to reduce Canada’s global footprint
- Boats, birds and photography . . . things I enjoy when not working . . . sometimes I can enjoy all three at once . . .
- I have beautiful feet . . . some people have actually said so . . . without prompting. . . happy to show them off to anyone who asks . . .
- Grandpa . . . to 5 perfect grandchildren . . . photos can be produced upon request . . .
Marc Rochon: Staff accountant, aka I do most of the work in the office!
Born and raised in Cobourg on the lake and the pool, I had it pretty good growing up. Began working in restaurants and enjoyed the culture of long hours and low wages. Moved to Peterborough to pursue a degree in math and science and failed spectacularly. I am no academic. I continued to work in the food industry, as I’m a glutton for punishment. My father taught me how to be fiscally responsible and what a tax return was. I was always giving friends advice on money matters, so eventually I returned to college and graduated with an advanced diploma in accounting. Dabbled a bit in agricultural accounting (farms!), did one year of Commerce at UOIT (immensely disliked commuting) and found my way to the office of Jon S. Thornton (fishing!). I’ve found the best learning comes from experience, and I’ve gotten that in droves by working with Jon. Now I look forward to working alongside Marsha and her John.
- Cat lover… please send me cat memes…
- Amateur wine connoisseur par excel-lance . . . please send cat memes that include wine references . . .
- I yawn a lot . . . out loud . . . not sure why . . . maybe has something to do with the wine mentioned above . . .
- Tennis player . . . in addition to playing the sport, I have recently accepted the volunteer position of treasurer for the Quaker Park Tennis Club.
- Pop culture savant (but very sad that 90’s dance music is now considered retro). I must be getting older. . .
- Taking a very long and pleasant time obtaining my CPA designation.